We want to enable as many organisations as possible to join the good causes lottery under the The Essex Lottery. As you will be joining under our overall gambling licence (Gambling Act 2005) we have to ensure that organisations meet certain criteria. There is no application fee.
Your organisation must:
- Provide community activities or services within Essex, which are of benefit to the residents of Essex
- Have a formal constitution or set of rules
- Have a bank account requiring at least two unrelated signatories
- Operate with no undue restrictions on membership
And be either:
- A constituted group with a volunteer management committee with a minimum of three unrelated members that meets on a regular basis (at least three times per year)
- A registered charity, with a board of trustees
- A registered Community Interest Company, and provide copies of your Community Interest Statement, details of the Asset Lock included in your Memorandum and Articles of Association, and a copy of your latest annual community interest report
We will not permit applications from:
- Groups promoting a particular religious, faith or political belief or activity
- A campaign that does not directly relate to the provision of community activities or services within Essex
- Organisations that do not do work within the boundaries of Essex
- Organisations which aim to distribute a profit
- Organisations with no established management committee/board of trustees (unless a CIC)
We are also unable to accept applications that are incomplete.
Successful applicants to The Essex Lottery will need to:
- Provide evidence of all eligibility criteria
- Agree to spend proceeds from The Essex Lottery on community activities or services that directly benefit the residents of Essex
- Agree to sign up 10 supporters within the first month and maintain a minimum of 10 supporters at all times
- Agree to the name of the organisation being used in publicity for The Essex Lottery
- Inform Essex County Council immediately if the organisation/group intends to disband, changes its aims, legal status or any other policy that may affect its eligibility for the scheme
- The Council reserves the right to reject any application for any reason
Essex County Council is registered under the Data Protection Act 1998 for the purpose of processing personal data in the performance of its legitimate business. In order to register as a good cause for The Essex Lottery, organisations/groups must provide key information and documents to support their application. This includes personal data, such as contact details, of key persons associated with the running of the organisation/group.
We collect this information in order to:
- Check the eligibility of the organisation/group to register as a good cause in line with our Terms and Conditions
- Enable the Council to make contact with key persons associated with the running of the organisation/group in line with monitoring expectations. For example, initial and annual checks relating to eligibility
- Enable the Council to make contact with key persons associated with the running of the organisation/group on any matters relating to The Essex Lottery such as its progress, changes to how it is run that may affect participating good causes and special events
The council reserves the right to reject any application for any reason without offering an appeals process.
The council will reserve its rights to not accept or cease to license any organisation with a minimum of 7 days’ notice for any reason. If fraudulent or illegal activity is suspected cessation will be immediate.